The Assessment Only (AO) programme provides a pathway for experienced teachers with a degree to achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). The AO route allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all of the standards for QTS, without the need for any further training. The Tommy Flowers SCITT is an accredited and approved AO provider. We offer Assessment Only accreditation for age ranges: 5-11, 7-14 and 11-16 (with post-16 enhancement).
Qualified teachers who trained outside of England (OTTs) can obtain QTS by having their qualifications assessed by the Department for Education. This includes teachers who trained in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the European Economic Area (EEA), Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America (USA). If your application is rejected or you qualified as a teacher in a different country, you may undertake the Assessment Only Programme.
The Assessment Only programme is typically a 12-week assessment.
The applicant will complete a pre-application checklist with the Professional Tutor in their employing school in order to verify that they meet the necessary entry requirements. Once all entry criteria have been met, the applicant will request an application form. Upon receipt of the application and the service level agreement form a compliance check will be carried out. A handbook for the Assessment Only programme will be issued.
A Partnership Manager from the Tommy Flowers SCITT will arrange a visit to observe the applicant teach and to conduct an interview to assess their readiness for the 12 week assessment period. The applicant will be required to complete a subject knowledge audit and provide evidence towards meeting the Teachers’ Standards. Where necessary, an action plan will be put in place before the 12 week assessment process can be started.
The applicant will have weekly mentor meetings and observations with their School Mentor and carry out two assessment points. The Partnership Manager will review progress midway through the 12 weeks and visit for a final assessment in the last week, which will include an observation, interview and presentation of a portfolio of evidence.
The cost of the Assessment Only Programme is £2300. There is no funding available for this route. All costs must be met by the applicant and/or the employing school.
For the pre-application checklist and further guidance please contact:
All applicants for the Tommy Flowers SCITT Assessment Only programme must meet the following entry requirements before applying to the Tommy Flowers SCITT.
- A British Bachelors Honours Degree or equivalent qualification.
- GCSEs or equivalent in English language, Mathematics (and for Primary applicants, a Science subject) at Grade C or above (Grade 4 or above from 2017).
- Pass the Vretta Maths Audit
- Employment as an unqualified teacher in at least two settings prior to application. Your role as an unqualified teacher will have involved planning, teaching and assessing whole classes in both schools, with a minimum of 20 days in the second school. One setting must be a mainstream state school in the UK.
- A minimum of two years’ teaching experience as an unqualified teacher across the age ranges within the chosen age phase.
- Current employment at a school willing to support you through this programme. You will need to have an enhanced DBS in place with the school in which you will be assessed.
- Applicants must prove, through the interview process, both their suitability to teach and their ability to meet the standards for QTS without the need for any further training.
The National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom (UK NARIC) can provide advice on the equivalence of overseas qualifications. Click here for more information.